Sunday, January 27, 2008

MY PROPHET


When I heard that our prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley, had just died, I first felt disbelief, then like the wind had been knocked out of me, followed by a hollow pit inside. Now, I feel calm and peaceful. What a tremendous man among men. Michael and I had the great privilege of racing to his office in the old Church Administration Building to be present as my mother and father were interviewed by him. My father (another man among men) was then set apart to be a sealer in the Salt Lake Temple. President Hinckley first asked my mother if my father was worthy, and in the typical Lyal Bingham fashion, she said timidly and unasumingly, "Well, I think so." He then asked my father the same question, who answered it in the typical Jay Bingham fashion, "Absolutely, . . . in every way, . . . without question!" It was a powerful experience to be in such a close and intimate setting with the the then counselor in the first presidency. Though he was not the president or prophet at the time, he was nevertheless running the church as Spencer W. Kimball was ailing. I love this picture of him because he looked like he could be everyone's grandpa. It was taken at an important BYU game where they were naming the LaVell Edwards Stadium. He told the players before the game, "Don't muff it!" His talks were always meaningful, always compelling. One of the first things I remember him saying to mothers when he became the prophet was, "Do the best you can." It was so comforting. It was a more nurturing message than I had heard before as a young mother. I will never forget him and all that he has taught me. He was the ultimate example in our day.

7 comments:

Glenda said...

Thanks for this post! You described exactly my feelings when I heard the news also. I was on the phone with my kids and grandkids immediately. I loved the story of you going with Jay and Lyal to his office, I had never heard this experience. It described them perfectly, and put a smile on my face. Beth I am doing Ok, I go to the Dr. on Feb.7 we will see what he says!!

Mama Mia said...

What a great memory and personal experience! It made me visualize Grandma and Grandpa Bingham. President Hinckley is with them now...can you imagine the wonderful reunion in heaven!

corryfever said...

Beth, I loved your comments about our beloved prophet, especially the part about mothers doing the best they can. I feel so blessed because 2 Sundays before he passed away, he spoke at the southern California stake conferences via satellite. He looked really old and tired, but still gave an incredible talk. He spoke about the worth of women and how he had received a letter from a women who said she just felt like LDS women were always barefoot and pregnant. It broke President Hinckley's heart and he was so concerned. He said LDS women are so much more than that and we and the men in our lives need to always remember that. He was always so sweet about women. I am so glad he is with his sweetheart now. p.s.thanks for looking at our blog, it is fun to stay in contact this way being so far away, yours looks great.

The Back Row Pew said...

What a great post !! I was actually talking to Lisa last night planning a shower for Maeve when Reed came in to tell me the news. We both love the same picture of him.

Anonymous said...

The funniest memory of this picture is when I asked Mike and Ty if that was Ty's grandpa :) ha..ha.. so funny! I've just never seen good ole' Gordon in a hat. I absolutely loved and appreciated him as a prophet. He was and still is an incredible example to me.

Holly said...

That is a great story about Grandma and Grandpa Bingham. I lovr your post about President Hinkley. He was an amazing man and prophet. Ally is so sensitive she cries everyday about the loss of our prophet and wants to miss school on friday to go to his viewing.

The Funderburks said...

I'm with ally, crying now as I read this post. Andy says I'm such a tender heart. What a very special man; he will be greatly missed by me.