Saturday, January 19, 2008

NIFTY! NIFTY! LOOK WHO'S 60!



Can this man really be 60 years old? He has all his hair, only a tiny touch of gray, and no wrinkles to speak of. He looks so much younger than all of his high school classmates, that it was almost embarrassing to go to his reunion. But more than his handsome good looks, Michael is the best husband and father any family could ask for. He has always put us first in his life and there is no one else he would rather be with. If any of us ever need anything, he puts his life on hold to make sure we have it.

Michael is spiritual and brings that strength into our home and also at the Correctional Facility where we both teach LDS services to the inmates. The men at the jail ask specifically for him to teach them. He has had many special experiences there and because of his preparation and his ability to follow the promptings of the spirit, he has affected many lives.

I have had many opportunities in my life that I would never have had without Michael's help and willingness to share home responsibilities with me. It was very hard for him while I completed graduate school but he stuck it out. Because of that, I was able to move from teaching into administration.

Michael told me last night that he will be miserable if I die before he does and he will also be miserable on the other side without me, if he dies first! Those of you who know him, know that this is true. The truth is we would all be miserable without Michael in our life because of all he means to us.

He has so many traditions with our kids and the grandkids:

  • "car wash" face washes
  • beehive panacakes
  • "Bombs Away!" with baby lotion before after bath rubdowns

  • "Hello, little girl. How are you today?" (While shaking their hands with a washcloth.)
  • "Grumpy Bear" snoring away...then growling when they wake him up sending them into delighted shreeks.
  • Pillow Fights with grandkids
  • Trying to tempt Easton to eat asparagus.
  • Ketsup on macaroni and cheese.
  • Jam on eggs.

  • playing the accordian when coerced

  • asking "if he is beautiful yet?" when he wakes up and then going back to sleep for more beauty rest if he doesn't get the right answer

  • Father's blessings
I felt electricity when he put his arm around me on our first date and I still do 37 years later. Michael, I love you very much.

12 comments:

Ty and Holly said...

Happy Birthday you old fart! Hope your 60th birthday is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday dad. We love you. _Maeve

Ty said...

Happy Birthday Dad

Johnston Family said...

Happy Birthday! Fun Post! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to a great Husband, Father and PaPa!!! Hope you have a great day!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to a great Husband, Father and PaPa!!! Hope you have a great day!!

Mama Mia said...

Yes Dad is all of those things and more! We love you...my kids want to see the accordian next time we are in town!

The Funderburks said...

Happy Birthday. Such an awesome post. I remember when I lived with Maeve she would tell me how her dad ALWAYS wanted to be with you, Beth. I think that is so sweet and it makes me so happy to be married to someone who is the same way with me.

The Back Row Pew said...

Happy 60th...I loved the post ...it was a great tribute. I do hope he is playing "The Bugs" on the accordian and also "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf" Those are great memories of mine.....great renditions for the grandkiddies.

Molly said...

Happy Birthday Uncle Mike...I would have NEVER guessed you were 60! I can't wait to hear the accordion at the next Johnston family party!

Ian, Kels & Lilly said...

Happy Birthday Big Mike......I have always wondered why Ian likes Ketchup on his Mac and Cheese and now I know why!

SUMMER said...

Happy Birthday Dad! Hope that your day was a great one! How did we not ever put the two and two together that Haven has the same birthday... January 21st!!!!!