Thursday, August 2, 2007

Thirty Six Years and Still Ticking!!
















Thirty six years ago on August 3rd, 1971, Michael and I were married in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. It was a misty summer morning. The temple had been closed for extensive renovations and had just opened to a record number of couples who had been waiting all summer to get married. The temple was very busy and bustling. Michael was awake all night before wondering if the day would really come as we had been engaged since January. He picked me up very early at my parents new home in Bountiful and our families followed us there in separate cars. I first took out my endowments that morning surrounded by our family and friends. When we were finally sealed everyone was in white in the beautiful gold and white sealing room except our bishop who came from work in a black suit just for the ceremony!

We were married by Selvoy Boyer, who was later the temple president. He shook his finger at Michael and told him to make sure he took care of me. I loved everything about the temple. I was in such a bridal daze that I didn't even think it was odd that there was scaffolding in the Celestial Room. The room was so beautiful that I didn't notice that there was evidence that craftsmen were still putting the finishing touches on the gold leafing. Gold leaves were indeed falling from the ceiling and my aunt Bettie, from Texas, caught one in midair and put it in her pocket for her mutual class to see back in Houston.

We had a magnificent wedding breakfast at the "Roof" at Hotel Utah. We also spent our first night there in a room overlooking the temple. That evening we had our reception at my parents new home. My dad was still finishing the landscaping and an outdoor seating area when the first guests arrived! My bridesmaids were my sisters and Julie, all dressed in matching peach dresses and a first and maybe a last, the guys were dressed in brown tuxes! Everything we did was unique for the day--my oval diamond, my engraved handwritten invitations, Michael's onyx and diamond ring, the flower wristlets for the bridesmaids, my cake decorated with sugared fruit, our informal wedding line, our thank you notes with our pictures on them, etc. These things had not really been done before and we really were ahead of our time in some ways. We celebrated our honeymoon in Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, and Monterey. The first meal I served Michael when we returned was the leftover ribbon sandwiches (totally common for the day) from our wedding reception that my mother had frozen. He only let me do that one night! I thought we had to eat them until they were gone because I didn't dare spend any money. I learned how to cook and I now know how to spend money.

Thirty six years later, we still go on dates every week and love to be together. We have known the highs and lows of life, but we really have had mostly highs. There has never been a day go by in our 36 years together that Michael has not told me he loved me and that I was beautiful. Our relationships with each other, our children, our grandchildren, and the gospel are the most important things in our life.

16 comments:

Carly said...

You had been engaged since January? Why didn't you just go up to Logan or down to St. George???

Ian, Kels & Lilly said...

Happy Anniversary Mike and Beth!

Bethers said...

Because the Salt Lake Temple was OUR temple and it had so much tradition for us. It still is.

Carly said...

love dad's suit in the temple pic.

Bethers said...

We couldn't get married much sooner because I was doing my student teaching and didn't finish until summer.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I love you both.

Anonymous said...

Happy Aniversary! I love the pics and I loved reading about your wedding day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I'll count myself so incredibly blessed when we reach thirty six years!

Molly said...

Happy Anniversary Mike and Beth...you were such a cute bride, but I have to say, the peach bridesmaid dresses were so funny especially with the shoes. Lol

Mama Mia said...

Beautiful pictures and wonderful account of your special day! I love you! If it weren't for you two, none of us would be here!

SUMMER said...

Good looking couple! Happy Anniversary!

Johnston Family said...

Congratulations on 36 years of bliss! You have been such a strong fun couple! You been a great example to us! I love the photos!

Weber said...

Happy Anniversary Mike and Beth! I loved the pictures. Doesn't it seem like the wedding was just yesterday? I know ours did.

The Back Row Pew said...

Love the walk down memory lane....that was great! You really did have some unique details and we copied many of them. Congratulations!

Mama Mia said...

This is Easton: I wish the colors were brighter so I could see Grandma Bingham. Oh and be ready for an ears pierce Grandma!

Anonymous said...

I AM SO HAPPY YOU ARE STILL TICKING. i LOVE THE SPECIAL LOVING RELATIONSHIP YOU TWO HAVE.