Sunday, February 10, 2008

HELAMAN 13:31

I don't fully know why, but, for some time, I have had issues with jewelry. People who know me, know I don't wear or have a lot of jewelry. I rarely even wear earrings, but I do have some nice rings. My father gave me a beautiful emerald cut ruby as a young girl, later I was given my Grandma Violet's ruby and baby pearl ring, and when I was married Michael gave me a stunning ruby ring for my birthday one year. Mia lost two of these on the USU campus, and Maeve lost one at the Sommerset Pool! None of them were ever found and I still mourn their loss, not because of the monetary value but because of the sentimental ties I had to them. As a young mother, I lost my diamond wedding ring at the Green Valley home years ago and only found it through prayer and hours of hunting. It turned up in a paper cup in the garbage! A few years ago for my 50th birthday, my children all went in on a beautiful mother's ring which had all their birthstones beautifully set. I went to put it on one night and couldn't find it anywhere. I searched, I prayed, and a voice said (really), "Go to the Farmington car wash." It was nightime and I thought I was going crazy because it had been missing for over a day by now. The next morning, even though I felt strange, I went to the carwash as soon as it was light. I thought, "This is impossible. It is summer, hundreds of cars and powerful water sprays would have taken it away." I drove to the spot where I had dried my car two days previous and there it was lying on the ground! It was a miracle and I knew it. I also knew I had just had my fair share of miracles. So, after a meeting with all the principals in the district and walking through two feet of freshly fallen snow, I was eating soup at the Bun Basket with two of my favorite principals when one said, "Beth, there is no diamond in your ring!" I was horrified. This was different than losing a ring...it was my beautiful oval diamond that Michael had given me 37 years ago, a classic that has never gone out of style. The very same one that I had lost in Green Valley only now I was looking for a detached stone. I searched my coat, my purse, the small restaurant, the snow. I back tracked and had everyone left at the Kendall building helping me look where the meeting had taken place. I searched the car and the parking lot, getting sicker and sicker. I knew my prayers had been answered before, but I also knew that this was going to be different. I called Michael and told him something terrible had happened. I knew that there was no way in the world that we could replace that diamond. He reassured me and was relieved that no one had died--his first reaction when I called. I prayed but accepted that His will would be done. I went home to check to see if somehow I had lost it there...nothing. I took my purse and took every item out and shook every item...again, nothing. I had been carrying around some loose papers, handouts and an agenda from my meeting, and even though I had looked through them previously, I shook them one by one on my bedspread. I took a look and saw something catching the light. There was my diamond laying on the bedspread! I said, "Oh, my hell!" Then I quickly apologized to God because I had been so blessed AGAIN! I never swear and it was just so amazing that the diamond came out from loose papers that had gone in and out of my purse all day. The only way I can explain it was that the static electricity from the cold winter day made it stick to the papers. Heavenly Father was looking out for me and I don't know why I deserve it. I took both my rings (my wedding ring and the ring my mother left to me) to the jeweler. He put on new crowns to securely hold the stones, he sized them, and polished them until they looked brand new. They are so beautiful and sparkly (these pictures don't capture it.)

I feel so humbled by this. Have your diamonds checked at least every year!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you found your diamond! Both rings are just beautiful! I was laughing so hard reading your last post about politics; I just loved ALL the comments!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's amazing. I'm so glad you found the diamond!

Glenda said...

You must be living right! I have never met anybody who has so many miraculous stories! I am so glad you found your diamond. I have always thought that your ring was so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Mom, I can't believe you lost your diamond. I am glad you found it.

Carly said...

Oh my Hell!!! ha ha ha.

Ty and Holly said...

I am laughing along with Carly...so funny. But I am glad you found your diamond. You are lucky to have found it...what are the odds.

Ty said...

Mom, (I am grinning right now) What is wrong with you (this feels so good)? I now know where I get it from! You have accused me for years of similiar mishappenings. It is good to know that I have inherited this directly from you.

Mama Mia said...

For what it is worth, I too have mourned the lost rubies. If I only wasn't walking across campus at 5:15 am in the DARK with newly fallen snow and slipped and fell dumping my backpack! (Which had all my things in it to get ready after dance practice!) When I realized my rings had fallen out I ran and searched the area...I don't have the same gift you have...things rarely turn up for me!:) I can't believe you were able to find your ring twice!! It
is a miracle!

SUMMER said...

SOOO GLAD YOU FOUND IT BETHERS... EVEN AS THE "OH MY HELL" CAME OUT! LOL!!!

Ty said...

So, you've had an ongoing issue with losing jewelry, you went to the airport without your id a few months back, and now you are in St. George without the family discount form which you forgot to take with. Hmmmm... And you consistently are accusing me of being forgetful...

Bethers said...

Ty,
We are kindred spirits who are over stressed I guess!
Love, Mom

Holly said...

what a miracle!! You always have amazing stories!

corryfever said...

That is unbelievable! My dad has always told me that his sister Beth has a spiritual gift, i wish i was more like you!

sgt said...

I'm reading your blog when I should be working . . . but I told you last night that I would go and review some of your posts. How fun it has been. I especially love your fabulous tribute to your amazing and beautiful and one of my favorite women in the whole, Carly, beautiful Carly. Oh, I remember so well the day she was born, and seeing her in the hospital with all those tubes, and being pregnant with Cassi and aching for you and Mike. I love, also, the ring stories, they are so you. Way to go . . . "oh my hell" . . . you rule. You're amazing and I love you beyond belief.