Sunday, October 21, 2007

"A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS"

Some time ago, Maeve gave me, "The Kite Runner" to read and I thought it was compelling and well-written, but brutal and sad and hard to read at times, so I didn't jump right on this recent best seller by the same author. Finally, I saw it at Sam's Club and bought it. Sleep was out of the question for a while. I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN! It, too, is well-written, compelling, and brutal at times, but the story of two Afghan women was so meaningful and powerful that I wanted/needed to talk to someone who had read it. Mia and I were able to do that a little in a long distance phone call. After reading this, I felt so blessed to be a woman in the United States of America with a loving husband and family, where my spirit is free to grow and just be. Tell me what you think. It was also interesting to relive that period in history from the Afghan perspective and to see how the Taliban started up. They have only recently come to power. The rules and edicts for women were only enforced in recent history. Women had much more freedom before the reign of the Taliban.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the book! I want my book club to read it instead of Kite Runner. I have just started Kite Runner and I am already uncomfortable with some things! Chicago is so fun! I love it! You,Carly and Maeve would love it too!

Glenda said...

I read Kite Runner and had the same thoughts and feelings as you described , so i have been hesitant to read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" Thanks for the review....

Ty and Holly said...

Thanks for letting me borrow the book....I can't wait to start reading it on the plane to Costa Rica :)

Anonymous said...

mom, i like your new header...