Monday, September 3, 2007

AFTER THE FIRE


This is the normally lush trail that we run and hike on. Our mountain side has been plagued with fires and mudslides the last four years. We were only recently allowed up in this area and we were shocked at the devastation.
Everything was burned to black sticks. The wildlife was gone and it was so silent without all the little creatures. We normally have foxes, deer, bobcats, snakes, coyotes, cotton tails, and all kinds of birds and lizards.
Even though much of our mountain side was burned, I knew that our home would be safe because east of us, higher on the mountain, are multi-million dollar homes. There was no way that the firefighters would let them burn and so they were our fire insurance.


This yard is one of my favorites and is right below the fire line.

So why do we live on a mountain? Answer:

  • an amazing view, even from our basement

  • an incredible ward

  • surrounded by wonderful people

  • no one steals things from our front porch

  • we walk out the door and we are on the Bonneville Shoreline trail

  • we are not the only people our age in our neightborhood

.......and because we can!

WHY DO YOU LIVE WHERE YOU DO?



13 comments:

Mama Mia said...

I am wondering why I STILL live in Omaha. We do have great schools, good friends and church members! I love my life here...just miss my fam.

Carly said...

nobody steals things from your front porch...ha ha ha. Slam on Maeve and Brad.

Anonymous said...

That is some pretty hard core damage from the fire....sad.

Molly said...

Despite getting things stolen from our porches and garages, we love where we live...location, ward, friends and recreation! The character of our little, old and full of maintenance homes and the great tree lined streets that cause countless plumbing problems are even worth it!

Ian, Kels & Lilly said...

Because that's all we can afford!!!! :)

Ty said...

I can't wait to see the multi-million dollar homes when the mud slides down after this amazing rain storm. I too love your area, but am lovin our ghetto ward full of freaks and goons.

Anonymous said...

It's a long ways away from Dramaville!

Macy said...

Location, Location, Location! That is why we live where we live. Also, because it is a walking neighborhood. I love that in my stage of life. The kids and I can walk to the library, the park, emigration market, jolley, friends houses, etc, etc. And, as Molly said , of course the trees!!

Anonymous said...

Mom, we're over the whole porch thing. How come you're not?

Anonymous said...

Maeve,
I am trying to get you to live closer to me in Davis County. Give your mom a break!

Anonymous said...

Moose,
There would be less drama here if you would live closer!

SUMMER said...

one word: BEACH!!!

Anonymous said...

Because I can't afford to live in a big house on the mountian. :(