Sunday, April 27, 2008

MOTHS, MOMS, & MEGA SPORTS

The following always happens to me to keep me grounded....right after I wrote my thesis on homemaking...I found that moths had taken up residence in my PANTRY!! I removed EVERYTHING, scrubbed it down from top to bottom, threw away so much food that it was sickening and then, the day after we did all this we spotted another moth fluttering in the vicinity!
Soooooo, I packed my bags and hopped into Jaci C's Denali, picked up Shauna and Lynne and off we went to Green Valley where Jackie and Camille were waiting for us in Jackie's beautiful Los Palmos condo.
We had a fabulous Southwester meal right there waiting for us thanks to Camille, Jaci, & Jackie. (All the way down we snacked on delicious treats made by Shauna and Lynne.) Afterwards, we all went on an evening walk to scout out our trails for the next morning. These women are amazing, spiritual, crazy-active in the most intense way, funny, maternal, low maintenance, wise, spontaneous, and just the very best to be around!
The next morning we went on a run through the red sand desert on the Bear Claw Poppy Trail, also known as the "Road to Nowhere" because you literally leave civilization and become one with the desert. We ran and ran, and because I am older and fatter, I am usually at the back, so I kept calling, "How far are you going?!" Now, they all say that they got lost because they thought they had come out into Green Valley but I knew we had run through the back hills and trails and we were really in BLOOMINGTON! They didn't believe me and even asked a gentleman who was watering his yard where we were. He said, "this is BLOOMINGTON!" I made them repeat this several times to emphasize this but they still said they got lost! Then we turned around and went back! We walked much of the way because we were running out of water and thanks to 2 prepared bikers, who shared their GOO, we made it. My friends will also will tell you that I got lost on the return but amazingly enough, I really do know these particular trails and I can walk (not run) almost anyone into the ground (maybe not Camille) and I ended up a little ahead of them BY FOLLOWING THE NORMAL TRAIL!! They freaked for a moment because they couldn't see me behind. It was adventurous, unforgetable and beautiful!

Next, we went for a cooling swim and a soak in the hot tub, cleaned up and went shopping, ate at a great Thai food place in Ancestor Square, rented Kite Runner and bought treats for our late night movie.
The second day was full of hikes in Snow Canyon. Here, we probably did get lost a couple of times but the caves, washes, rocks, vistas and outlooks were all worth it. This trip was short but packed and full of fun. I can't thank all my spirited friends enough for getting me away from moths and my school for a little bit.

Interesting facts and points to ponder:

Jackie, who is thin, young, funny and and an extremely fast runner (I want), eats a strawberry pop tart and a diet coke before running every morning! She has amazing energy, spunk, and is a wonderful hostess. She delighted me with her stories and honest personality.

Jaci does yoga stretches at all hours, hungers for anything spiritual, shares Gospel Doctrine with us and her ward, and still looks like a surfer girl, (I want) even though she has 5 boys, one of whom is soon leaving on a mission. Jaci is my neighbor and would do anything for anyone.

Shauna is tan, fit, looks like a teenager, ( I want) wears the coolest flip flops, keeps real in the Stake R.S. presidency, has served with her husband over a mission in Mexico, and knows where to get all bargains. I can totally relate to her and love to hear about her take on life.

Lynne brought the most luggage and still forgot her sandals. I love her for coming even though her daughter is getting married in two weeks. She also received the the most phone calls from home and could be heard patiently dispensing motherly advice. For 30 years she has been a sweet (I want) and loving running partner. We want to make it another 30 together.

Camille is the glue that keeps it all together, gets ready in minutes and has the most interesting method of styling her silky, dark hair (I want): she drys her hair in sections with a round blowing brush, rats each section, sprays, and after drying, it falls full and beautiful around her face. She is our trail leader and spots all kinds of wildlife including snakes and snipers. NOTHING stops this woman. She inspires me.....I never want to stop running with her!
THE INCREDIBLES!!! You are all incredibly special to me!

9 comments:

The Back Row Pew said...

What a fun trip!! They are such cute friends. I hope you all relaxed and laughed til you were sick. Just a note on moths. We had to totally clean out and throw away our pantry last fall because of MOTHS!! I sprayed and it was spotless...but the last week or two, I have seen a couple hovering around the kitchen. It has totally freaked me out and I am going to call an exterminator if I see one more.

Mama Mia said...

Oh Mom that sounds like the funnest trip! I am so glad Mike gave you up for a few days! Ha! Ha! No really your friends are so cute, fun, and active! Glad you were able to lead everyone home...I love that trail too!

Elisha said...

That was fun to read, Beth. My mom and her dang cell phone, though. You should see that woman run for her purse every time it rings. Sometimes I wish she'd just FORGET that thing and leave it a home so she can relax!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good trip. You deserve it!

The Funderburks said...

the thai restaurant you ate at is Benja - our favorite!!

Anonymous said...

Beth, I love you too. I! knew you knew where we were! I loved sharing a bed and room with you on our trip. You are wise, sure, grounded, every much the leader of us all(but in different ways and sometimes more important ways)a loving,truly concerned, interested sounding board and counselor,and so much more to me than words can convey. And... I may have gotten the most calls from home but I am not the one who MADE the most calls TO home. We also read your timely homemaking counsel out loud for us all to learn from. I hope we are still doing this when we are 95!

Ty and Holly said...

Looks like fun! Girls trips are a blast and are much needed. You guys have a really neat bond and friendship, you're lucky to have that!

spenceandcass said...

That's awesome to have such good friends. Looks like a fun time.

Monica said...

Wow--that made me cry because I miss all you ladies so much! You are all amazing women and have inspired me so much my entire life. You deserve that break, all of you. Have a blast seeing Carly again!